Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Falling Leaves

Woman with leaves falling by Christi Friesen
Woman with leaves falling


walking the straight path
the air crisp and fresh
with trees of red, gold, and brown
I feel beautiful just being here
a leaf will occasionally fall
and if I am lucky, I’ll catch it
close my eyes and brush it against my red cheek
the winds may send a gust
and the leaf will go free from my fingers
I’ll turn to watch it sail, only in envy
through the air with other leaves
in circles as they dance
teasing the other leaves
because they are attached and cannot dance
looking at the leaves attached to their trees
I’ll understand them
wanting to be free from the world that protects me
wanting to dance and sail through the air
walking the straight path
the air crisp and fresh
with trees of red, gold, and brown
I feel so beautiful just standing there
a leaf falls, and I try to catch it
the leaf falls short of my stretched hand
and I watch it fall to the ground
with the other leaves unfortunate enough
to not have someone to catch them
and save them from the cold ground
I look up at the other leaves still attached to their trees
I understand them
happy to have something to hold on to
happy to have somewhere to belong
I continue down the straight path
and like a leaf, I silently wonder
if I do fall, will I have someone to catch me?

No comments: